Saturday, February 27, 2010

February in Seattle

As always, the middle of winter. Usually cold, gray clouds and rain. A different beauty than summer. However, this year's starting in a different way. We've had two weeks of sun and warm temperatures here in this northwest corner of the great Pacific Northwest! So, figures I, instead of sitting in the city, why not take advantage of it while it lasts. Get my warm leather and chaps, throw a few things in the saddle bags and the bike and me are ready to go! Heading for Olympia and the top of hwy 101. (Bummer! I forgot my cell phone!!)

Heading south on I5, the only break in the urban sprawl is the Nisqually Basin then right, onto hwy 101, past Mud Bay, the whole world starts to change. Deciduous trees and shrubs bare of leaves, tall furs. Rich colors dominated by green and brown. Visible boarders, fences and walls, further between and the Olympic Mountains on the horizon. On one hand, I'm glad there's hardly anyone else on this part of the road, the solitude is great. On the other, sharing in all this with others is great too. Coming from the other direction, another motorcycle. We exchange the ol biker wave. I know he's enjoying all of this as much as I.

Traveling north now, only a little more than two hours out of Seattle. Passing through little towns: Skokomish, Lilliwaup, Ayock, Hamma Hamma! (Why is it, every time I type a NA name on this here computin' machine, I get a spell check? What's with that?) Hoods Canal on my right, the foot hills of the Olympics on my left. Approaching Discovery Bay. The travel committee, by unanimous vote, decides on a little side trip up to Port Townsend, one of my most favorite places in the world. A day or so, hob-nobbing with old friends, meeting new ones, yah, why not!

The same thing in Sequim and Port Angeles. I have a friend inside at Calallam Bay, but the hard ass's wouldn't let me in for a visit, however, they did let me leave him a note. (I just had to put a stamp on it and drop it in a mail box!) Anyway, the whole trip went like this. Mostly great. It took me five more days to get up around Neah Bay then down to Grays Harbor. I love the Pacific coast this time of year. From Aberdeen, another eight hours of slow rolling, stopping to eat some mollusks and crustaceans along the way, back to Seattle.

Anyway, the point of all of this: This is why I live in Seattle. I do like the city but beyond that, I can pick any direction and in less than two hours and/or two hundred miles, I can be in a whole different world. Mountains, lakes, rivers, salt water, fresh water, farms or forests and mostly combination's of all. Even a whole different country! (Hello to my Canadian brothers and sisters.) I hope that where you live is as beautiful and diverse as where I live and that you are able to find and enjoy the beauty in it.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment